Pet Dental Services
Pets need professional dental care from your veterinarian on a regular basis, along with daily home care from you to remain healthy. Your veterinarian is the best source to determine how frequently your pet’s teeth should be professionally treated, and which products to use for home cleanings.
Ignoring your pet’s dental needs can lead to periodontal disease, loss of teeth, and failure of organs including the heart, liver, and kidneys. The earliest sign of periodontal disease is inflammation (redness or swelling) of the gums, along with bad breath, yellow/brown substance on teeth, bleeding gums, tooth loss, drooling, and change of chewing or eating habits. Bacteria that grows in dental plaque is the primary cause of Periodontal disease. Plaque is the soft material that builds up on the surface of the teeth. It can be brushed off, but if left untreated it hardens into tarter, and requires professional care to remove. Tartar buildup affects about 70% of cats and 80% of dogs by three years of age.
A dental procedure called a prophylaxis or a “prophy” consists of scaling, (removing disease causing bacteria) and polishing the teeth. It is performed under anesthesia by a licensed technician and veterinarian. The procedure is recommended at least once a year to keep your pet’s teeth healthy. We also recommend having blood work performed prior to this procedure to make sure your pet’s kidneys and liver will be able to metabolize the anesthesia.
Tips to keep your pets teeth and body healthy:
- Practice a regular dental care regimen at home.
- Brush your pet’s teeth with specially formulated pet toothpaste. Never use toothpaste for humans. This can cause stomach upset.
- Start early with puppies and kittens to get them used to the process.
- Take your pet to your veterinarian for a dental exam during their regular checkups.
- We recommend Purina Pro Plan Dental Health food for complete and balanced nutrition, and daily support for your pet’s dental care between veterinary visits. Click here for more details of how this line of food will help your pet to live a happy and healthy life!
Please feel free to contact us with any questions regarding your pet’s care needs.